CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
15/06/10 07:34 AM
Re: 1903 Mannlicher

Quote:

There's a full-stocked rifle (22" bbl) at Wm. Larkin Moore right now advertised as all original and unaltered (with the exception of a Lyman sight), in what appears to be comparable condition to yours, for 6k. That might be a bit high, but a guy could look a long, long time for a like replacement.

Would anybody hazard an opinion of what that rifle would be worth? It's gone from the website now. Sure looked like a cherry specimen. Would it be worth $6k?

I'd like to find a really nice M1903. What does one pay for such?

Another M-S question:

There was an interesting M-S specimen on GunBroker just recently. Can anybody identify what exactly it is?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=172716299

I read the description, which says, "THIS IS VERY SIMPLY A COLLECTOR'S CREATION MADE IN GERMANY CIRCA 1910." I thought that was funny because these are Austrian guns. But the photo looks like the receiver ring is stamped "Made in Germany". What's that all about?

And the caliber. It's advertised as a 6.5x54mm. However, the receiver ring clearly is stamped "Cal. 6.5 Norm." Would that be the 6.5mm Mauser? It's not marked Mod. 1903.

Then there's the style of the stock, with the close grip. The full length forend is clearly detachable. That would normally be indicative of a takedown rifle, but this rifle doesn't have the little takedown lever in front of the trigger guard.

Obviously I have a lot to learn. Any help will be appreciated.

Curl

I am editing this post to include photos of the interesting rifle listed on GunBroker.com:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com