Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
09/03/10 07:25 PM
Re: "new" mannlicher

Rocky sent me this quote last October when I enquired

"Mike,
The delays started with the plating on the bolt: my hardness test equipment only goes to a Rockwell C65, and the plating on the bolt is above
that level. I automatically assumed it had to be industrial chrome. And I also knew I could not weld over chrome
because it would contaminate and pit the weld; so I would have to have the chrome stripped. I took it to a local industrial chrome shop, that agreed to strip
it, and re-plate it when finished. I left it with them to strip, went back to pick it up the next day, and the guy said it was not chrome--that their stripper
wouldn't touch it. At this point, I had to research to discover the true identity of the plating. After about 5 days, I learned that it is heat-treatable
phosphorus nickel. I found a local plater that does the heat-treatable phosphorus nickel, but they are geared up only for doing new production; they
had no way to strip it. Back to researching, this time to find a stripper, and find a company that would send me a small quantity of stripper, and not
a 55 gallon drum. I did find one, but the quart-size was out of stock, and I can't get any until 14 Sept
Since I couldn't work on the bolt, I went to work on the trigger. I ordered an Austrian-make Kepplinger, single-set trigger; but when it arrived, I noticed that the sear engagement had been buffed to roundness, making it unusable and unsafe. I had to re-order, have one hand selected that had not been buffed, and then send the buffed one back. That added another week, waiting for parts in the mail
I tend to give guns personalities. I've worked on guns where every part comes in perfect and fits first time. And then there are guns that fight me all the way; they refuse to let
any new part fit correctly, and are just a general pain--that's cantankerous
But the worst seems to be over, and things are starting to work well
Rocky"

"

Contact Us NitroExpress.com