malco
(.275 member)
11/06/09 02:14 AM
Re: Any Mannlicher Schoenauer aficionados with advice?

Hello sir--How's your scope-mounting going? I didn't realize until now that nobody ever responded about hunting with set-triggers, so I'll comment based on my own experience. I've killed maybe 8 different animals with two different set-trigger rifles, one a 1924 Mannlicher with original double-set outfit and the other a modern CZ 550 with single-set. The first time I took something with the MS, I have to admit the gun went off before I wanted it to--I was prone alongside a clump of sage, the animal broadside at a hundred yards or so. I lined up the sights, set the trigger, went to shift my elbow a little and BANG--shocked like a crossed wire.

Fortunately the sights were still lined up. The prongbuck dropped like a stone, flopped around for maybe five seconds and died. But this was a sobering illustration of several critical things, chief among them Jeff Cooper's Rule 3--Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. That was the first time I've had a gun "go off by itself," and I fully intend that it's the last time as well. I've since conditioned myself to stay way off the trigger--even in bitter cold, or after high exertion, or when sighting on a really good buck. That first mishap increased my objectivity by a huge margin, even in the heat of the moment.

Part and parcel of this is practice, practice, practice. I try to punch as much paper as I can, not merely from the bench but offhand, seated position, standing with a rest, etc. Get your mind and your muscle memory fully conditioned to that feather-light trigger, and keep them that way.

Also, assuming you hunt in cold weather, figure out your gloves way in advance of hunting season. I watched a friend flub a really good chance on a huge muley buck because his gloved finger tripped his single-set before he intended to shoot. I've landed on either fingerless gloves or hinged mittens as my own solution, and haven't had a problem. Two years ago a killed a buck offhand on a brutally cold day with the Mannlicher, wearing said mittens.

The only other thing I can think of is to practice de-activating the set-trigger should the need arise in the field--I do this by pointing the gun at the ground, making sure the safety is on, and pulling the trigger. The other solution would be to lift the bolt out of battery and then pull the trigger.

Good luck with your rifle, and good luck in the field.
Best,
Malcolm

Contact Us NitroExpress.com