duckbuster
(.224 member)
04/03/09 01:07 PM
Re: Any Mannlicher Schoenauer aficionados with advice?

Well, this is helpful and I appreciate it very much. Clearly I've got to do some research and make some decisions.

freischuetz, it never occurred to me that you could attach-and-remove by using solder. I'm such a prisoner of my experience -- Winchesters, Sakos, etc., make mounting a scope so easy that I've really given it too little thought.

DuggaBoy, looking at the rifle (okay, it's a carbine) it's a self proclaimed Mod. 1956, apparently manufactured in 1957, and has two holes drilled on the left side to the rear. It's bore appears to be new (as does this rifle as a whole, but I particulary prize a clean bore).

xausa, thank you for providing all of the references. I've known relatively few actual users of the G&H side mount, but all that I know have been positive about it. I asked about Nashville because my daughter and her family live there, and I'm there three or four times a year.

And to all, thank your for your interest -- I've got some great hunting and shooting buddies, but the MSs don't resonate with them as they do with me. I'm a shooter and a hunter rather than a collector, but this purchase scratches a fifty year old itch and is arguably the first rifle I've bought because of what it is, rather than why I need it. But, it'll be at the range this weekend and likely to be in the field this fall. This will be fun, pricy, but fun.

Again, thanks.

Tom

Contact Us NitroExpress.com