ChrisPer
(.300 member)
28/01/09 12:01 AM
Re: Crackers for the 9.5

I first used 270gn RN Woodleighs, then 270gn Hornady in my 1910 rifle. Got the Hornady a few years ago and sorry to hear they are not still being produced because they were pretty economical compared with Woodleigh. With 42gn AR2206, it gave 1860-1875 fps (only fired 2 shots over a friends chronograph). I plan to raise my charge to 44n to try and get the 2150 or so touted in COTW. I just got a Lee crimp die for .375 H&H to cut down for it too.

My brass is Winchester 30-06 and I bought the RCBS reforming die set and loading die set from Huntingtons. I also have 3 packets left of FMJ Kynoch, kept for collecto value, though I fired the last 1/2 packet to test it at Cleveland when I bought it.

I haven't shot game with it, but bullets recovered from wet sand have expanded quite satisfactorily even at the lower velocity.

Hold onto it? At those speeds my 1910 is far, far more comfortable to shoot than a full .308 or 30-06 load even though it weighs very little. Last time I fired it, the first 2 shots were fired by a 12-year old waif of a girl, who wouldn't let her brother beat her if she could help it. After the first shot I asked if she wanted another and she smiled and nodded 'Yes!' I offered shots to many at the AHN day at Perth Field Rifle Club last year, and it was universally agreed to be sweet to shoot.

I will add that (sadly) it has a recoil pad, not the original steel buttplate. I got the rifle at Hunters Paradise in Harare for a reasonable price, as it was in pretty ordinary condition. I pissed off the 1970s US-style pad toot sweet and put on an English style solid one.

I remember seeing my first sight of a Mannlicher carbine at Darwin SSAA in 1981, the owner demonstrated the bolt closing to lock from just tilting the barrel down 20 degrees with the trigger held. Mine is not so smooth, and doesn't feed perfectly either. (The owner also showed a couple of smallbore doubles, maybe a .22 Savage Hi-Power and 7x57, possibly Hollands? 1981 was a while back, and I wondered if it were you Marrakai)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com