DarylS
(.700 member)
26/01/09 06:11 AM
Re: Crackers for the 9.5

I agree - that 270gr. SP, at the lower speeds of the 57mm case should act like a premium bullet. I don't like boat-tails except for target shooting so we won't go there, ie: Speer and Sierra

The 270 SP is the bullet used by my hunting buddy in his .375 H&H Guide gun - a stainless & plastic Savage. It puts 5, 270gr. SP's into sub 6/10's" every time at 100 meters off the bags at a velocity of 2,540fps. Yes, it's slow for a H&H, but the accuracy & penetration is why he loads it there. He's had to shoot 3 or 4 wounded bears and about 8 wounded moose so far, with this rifle. Every time he pulls the trigger, the animal goes down - right now. Keith always centres the heaviest bone he can and usually gets an exit, but not always. When they don't exit, they're perfect for framing. Hornady would probably love to have them for add's but then, probably everyone who uses them, has such beautifully expanded bullets. They are that good. Keith's shooting is usually close rarely over 100 yards and perhaps farthest at 200yard max so the lower velocity helps performance.

Reduced to 2,300fps, which I'm sure can happen in the 9.5x57, they should do good work on all heavy game, buffalo included - as a soft.,

I'd like to get my hands on some of the seemingly now discontinued 270gr. RN's. Elmer always spoke well of them, saying they penetrated better than the 300's. I have both 300RN and 270RN sectioned - might dig them out and take a picture for posting - yes - that's a good idea - later - today.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com