9.3x57
(.450 member)
26/01/09 01:26 AM
Re: Crackers for the 9.5

Marrakai, what are your plans for hunting with this rifle?

Shooting .375 bullets at the lower speeds can be dicey due to construction parameters geared around the .375 H&H Mag. After the failure of the 300 in my testing, I called some of the manufacturers about various .375 conventional bullets and most seem to be designed for expansion down to about 1800 fps, which, of course, is an estimate based on what is hit and of course, is an estimate. Our "x57's" start a few hundred feet above that or so, so we don't have a lot of room for slowdown. My experience with the Hornady 225 this past hunting season {sized down of course} leads me to believe it is one of the best for these little cases. That 270 Hornady really looks like a winner, too.

The issue with the 300 Interlock seems to be as follows: The ogive of the jacket rounds the nose and seems to be Hornady's method to slow down expansion. But it requires in my testing something over 2000 fps to do this reliably. Intrerestingly, this bullet is NOT a very sturdy bullet when shot from the .375 H&H Mag and once it starts to open, really lets go fast. GETTING it to open shot from a x57 case is a different matter; sometimes it dows and sometimes not. The design of the 270 RN looks different. That plus higher start speed should make it a winner I think. "Tricking" the bullets on the 300 make it a really great quick opener, too. My so tricked weight 296 grains and would make for really fine deer bullets.

That 270 Hornady Spire Point still has my attention, tho I have used it on only a little game. I shot clean thru a zebra with one in the .375 and have used it on impala and deer, and sized down on that steer in 9.3. I say my attention, because it opened up and acted much like a controlled expansion bullet in the 9.3. It looks like the 225, only a bit longer. I need to get some more and test them. Maybe sized down they'd work super well in my 9.3x62 carbine, too...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com