Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
09/10/18 07:48 PM
Is it a Crime? - Thumbhole Stocked Mannlicher Schönauers

You be the judge.
I'll assume the '1903 Mannlicher - Schoenauer' donor was a military model.

Here's the article from Shooting UK: Shooting UK

Viking338
(.333 member)
09/10/18 10:57 PM
Re: Is it a Crime? - Thumbhole Stocked Mannlicher Schönauers

I guess it’s what ever floats someone’s boat. But I wonder how much research old mate did when he can’t even get the calibre right! Really a 6.5x54R becomes a 6.5x54 Remington in his little world whoops

Plus I would have kept it in that cool old calibre. But he says .308 is “more acceptable”, really! Nothing wrong with the .308 but a 6.5x54R is more than acceptable in most of the circles I frequent

JDL
(.300 member)
10/10/18 12:39 AM

Not not my idea of how a classic should be stocked but, for that price, I might give her a go. I think he got his cartridges mixed up as I don't believe the Schoenauer was chambered for the rimmed 6.5. Thanks for posting.

DonZ
(.300 member)
10/10/18 03:57 AM

Quote:

Plus I would have kept it in that cool old calibre. But he says .308 is “more acceptable”, really! Nothing wrong with the .308 but a 6.5x54R is more than acceptable in most of the circles I frequent

The problem, I think is the British law that makes my favorite calibre marginal for Red Deer. I have the same problem in Germany and in Poland. They want 1,000 joules of energy at 100 meters, and I think the stock cartridge weighs in at 925 or so. Not that it really matters to the deer. But you're right on all the other points.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
10/10/18 10:42 PM

Quote:

I guess it’s what ever floats someone’s boat. But I wonder how much research old mate did when he can’t even get the calibre right! Really a 6.5x54R becomes a 6.5x54 Remington in his little world

Whatever floats, indeed. For all we know the project may have started with a fully buggered, shot out and abused 1903 'Greek' and these modifications may have been considered to be improvements in a style befitting the time it was done? After all, I remember thinking I looked cooler than all get out in Levi's 'Big Bells' and Kennington shirts back in the day.

I suppose it could represent a cautionary tale about going with current trends. Looks as if it would shoot well, though, at least from a prone position, and it does have a certain elegance of line in a very '70s retro sort of way (think 1970 Corvette).

I have no idea where the author got the 'Remington' bit. The proprietary MS cartridges were 6.5X54 (M1903), 9X56 (M1905), 8X56 (M1908) and 9.5X57 (M1910). Only after the M1924 (.30-'06) were they available in other chamberings.

Viking338
(.333 member)
10/10/18 11:13 PM

Quote:

Not not my idea of how a classic should be stocked but, for that price, I might give her a go. I think he got his cartridges mixed up as I don't believe the Schoenauer was chambered for the rimmed 6.5. Thanks for posting.

Yes that was also my understanding about the rimmed, but far from fully read up on the MS? More than happy to be educated if there are.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
10/10/18 11:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes that was also my understanding about the rimmed, but far from fully read up on the MS? More than happy to be educated if there are.

All with the Schoenauer rotary magazine (MS) were rimless.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
13/10/18 09:30 PM

Now, this is different!

Presenting the Snabb Semiauto Conversion of a 'Dutch' Mannlicher: Video

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
14/10/18 11:14 AM

Nasty.

Matt.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
14/10/18 03:21 PM

Quote:

Nasty.

Matt.

Perhaps someone thought it 'looked good on paper' .

twobobbwana
(.333 member)
01/11/18 11:43 AM

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

It isn't to my taste...….but if the owner likes it then my taste doesn't matter.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
01/11/18 03:12 PM

Quote:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

I'm hip.
(Don't worry, it's not really a -ugh- Bud Light)

50Calshtr
(.300 member)
02/11/18 12:45 AM

THAT is taking it to the extreme!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/11/18 06:40 PM

Thumbhole stocks are ugly no matter on what rifle they are put on. But on a classic rifle ...

The writer exposes himself by having no idea of the nomenclature of the 6.5x54 "Remington" ...

Quote:

Bruce Potts is impressed.

NitroX is not impressed ...

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/11/18 06:42 PM

Quote:

Now, this is different!

Presenting the Snabb Semiauto Conversion of a 'Dutch' Mannlicher: Video

A pistol grip on this rifle is a necessity. Seeing the location of the trigger. And in some places a pistol grip makes a rifle evil so maybe a thumbhole stock was the only option. A guess anyway.

Is that a standard stock or a custom adaption?

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
03/11/18 10:52 PM

Quote:

Video

Is that a standard stock or a custom adaption?

Check out the video. It was a (failed) prototype for a conversion of M1895 Mannlicher to a semi auto bolt.

What could possibly go wrong?

I agree about 'thumbholes', actually. With very rare exception, they're just 'fugly'.

That hasn't stopped Steyr from producing them, however:

Steyr Video

416rigby
(.300 member)
04/11/18 08:03 AM

In my world, a thumbhole anything is a crime.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/11/18 10:19 AM

Even the ugliest girl eventually finds some man who loves them ....

DarylS
(.700 member)
04/11/18 11:25 AM

Beer and whiskey - co-invention of Aphrodite and Venus - or where they one and the same?

yumastepside
(.333 member)
04/11/18 11:43 AM

Not that I condone this sacrilegious style of re-stocking on an obviously classic rifle today, I would say that the use of a Harry Lawson Cochise thumbhole stock would denote a late 70's-early 80's re-stock.
Not my cup of tea, but probably very cool in the day.

Roger

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/11/18 10:42 PM

For lovers who like to stick their thumb in a butt hole ...

Yeah getting really low now ...

HeymSR20
(.300 member)
20/11/18 05:32 AM

Probably it is, but cheap to buy. There are or were plenty of old Mannlicher Schoeneurs with rusty pitted barrels that can well respond to a rebarrel. Friend in Fife has had a beautiful rifle built on a Mannlicher action in 22-250 with a traditional style stock, but straight rather lots of drop to suit a scope - aka modern Rigby rather than 1920's Rigby.

The original rifle was b*******d so why not. Thumbhole stocks seem to be quite popular in the UK at the moment and for many deer stalkers - especially those who shoot Red deer in the highlands 99% of shots will taken off a bipod from a prone position.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com