BrittanyMan
(.224 member)
17/08/16 01:21 PM
? on obtaining a usable unset pull w M-S double set triggers

First let me say that I am enjoying getting to know my first Mannlicher-Schoenauer, a 1952 carbine in .270 WCF w/ Jaeger detachable sidemount & Lyman Alaskan scope & I've fitted another Jaeger slide & medium height rings w/ a contemporary Leupold 2 x 7 scope to the original base.

After spending the spring & summer shooting it on the range I'm very impressed with the accuracy (100 yd. 3 shot groups 1" & under with 130, 150 & 160 grain bullets) & most importantly, the gun holds it's zero. Very good performance for light carbine w/ good handling qualities made in 1953 & not far off the performance I get from a couple of custom rifles using pre 64 Winchester M70 actions that are heavier.

My only issue is the unset trigger pull of >8 lbs. (my trigger pull scale only goes to 8 lbs.)

I've got a wonderful set pull @ 12 ounces & I would most likely use the set mode for most hunting situations but I would like to have the option of using the trigger unset if need be & for me that means a trigger pull of no more than 4 lbs. I can live with the long take up inherent with unset double triggers but I can't deal with the heavy pull. I'll add the caveat that with the low mounted Leupold scope in place I cannot use the wing safety & must depend on the trigger blocking side safety so adequate sear engagement to prevent accidental discharge is very important.

At this point I've done nothing more than look at a schematic of the M-S double set trigger system & I would like to hear from any forum members experienced with the M-S (or other) double set trigger system on what realistic expectations are on safely lightening the unset trigger pull & how to accomplish it.

2 days & no response & I note that in the gunsmithing forum someone has asked a similar question re. obtaining a lighter unset pull on BRNO double set triggers w/o a response either.

Let me rephrase the question. Does anybody know if a reasonably light unset pull can be obtained or does the geometry of the trigger levers dictate a very heavy unset pull? My only past experience has been with percussion rifle double set triggers & I don't remember many having unset pulls as heavy as on my 1952 M/S.

JDL
(.300 member)
03/11/16 09:39 AM
Re: ? on obtaining a usable unset pull w M-S double set triggers

I feel your pain with the unset trigger. If you find a solution, please post the cure.

ChrisPer
(.300 member)
10/11/16 01:27 AM

I don't know if it was worked on, but my 1910 has a very reasonable pull around 4 lbs. It has no rear set trigger, ie that part has been removed not an original single trigger.

If anyone has the parts to replace it please let me know!

Louis
(.375 member)
10/11/16 03:46 AM

BrittanyMan. Please send me your email address by PM and I will forward you the diagram of a MS trigger; this is a document I cannot post on the forum as I cannot attach it. Best regards. Louis

BrittanyMan
(.224 member)
12/11/16 04:45 AM

Louis,

Thank you for your kind offer but I have schematics of the post war single & double set triggers. It looks to me like the heavy unset pull of the double set mechanism is a result of the trigger lever geometry & unless I hear something to the contrary from a reliable source I'm gong to leave well enough alone.

These days most of my hunting is done from a stand & for that the set trigger works just fine & I have no desire to convert to the singe trigger mechanism.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com