lawndart
(.224 member)
24/07/10 12:47 PM
Mannlichers can be a trial to load for.

I located brass with the correct markings for the various M/S cartridges.

6.5x54 M/S Norma

8x56 M/S Horneber

9x56 M/S Horneber

9.5x556/57 Horneber

Other than the Norma offering, these are SPENDY.

I am starting to convert 8x57 Mauser brass (good quality brass) into the various M/S sizes. Configurations will be exact, but the name will not be.

I will post pictures as I go along.

I mentioned in a Double Gun post that I and a few others are working hard to do all the R&D to bring various cartridges back to their niche markets for just enough to live on ourselves. I have located sources of the correct bullets for the various (and variable) bore sizes. I read this column with keen interest, and hope to be able to import some "Perfect" ammunition, as well as some "Perfectly shoot-able and hunt-able" ammunition.

Thanks,

LD

xausa
(.400 member)
24/07/10 05:37 PM
Re: Mannlichers can be a trial to load for.

I was going to a lot of trouble to size .30-'06 bases down to the correct size for 9X56MS, when I happened to pick up a piece of unfired Remington .35 Whelen brass from my loading bench and measured the base. Lo and behold, it was already the right size. Brass problem solved.

I am sure you are aware that Hornady makes .268" diameter bullets for the 6.5 Carcano, which are the correct size for most 6.5 MS barrels. Be careful, though. I have a Greek MS which had been rebarrelled, and the new barrel is .264". Fortunately a cartridge loaded with a .268" bullet will not chamber in it. I am thinking of adopting a color code system like the Germans have with their 8mm cartridges, whereby they paint the primers on the "S" (.323") diameter cartridges black.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/07/10 07:11 PM

Should prove useful for M-S owners.

lawndart
(.224 member)
24/07/10 08:47 PM

That 35 Whelen tip is very useful, thank you. I will order some up and have a go with that.

A friend practically gave me a small bench lathe last week. After I make up some fixtures, it should be pretty straightforward to size 8x57 and 35 Whelen to what we need.

ChrisPer
(.300 member)
26/07/10 12:26 AM

I use 9.5x57 MS form dies from RCBS. For some reason my cartridges say 'W-W 30-06' on the headstamp.

RigbyUser
(.275 member)
09/09/10 11:33 PM

My 1910 takedown model came with 100 formed cases, these were 35 Whelan based. I've used them lots now and they hold up well.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com