Marrakai
(.416 member)
05/01/08 12:50 AM
Re: Pressure and the Lee Enfield

9ThreeXFifty7 asked:
Quote:

How does the .375 feed and function?

From the unaltered SMLE magazine, it will feed 5 cartridges flawlessly provided they are spitzer bullets. RNs with exposed lead tend to catch on the rim-recess at the chamber-mouth every now and then. If I load 6 or 7 in the mag, the stack gets a bit untidy and may mis-feed the first cartridge occasionally. I'm sure it could be modified to feed more than 5, but I haven't felt the need to do this as yet.

I shoot mainly the Hornady 270gr Spire-Point, but the rifle also likes the 250gr Sierra Game-King. Many years ago, I acquired a box of Speer 285gr Grand-Slams 'on the cheap' and shot most of them at buffalo, but eventually realised that premium bullets were not required at these velocities.

Regarding the wandering zero, I have never actually identified this with any of my Lee Speeds or SMLE sporters, but I don't have unrealistic expectations regarding accuracy. Most are around 2 to 2 1/2 MOA with hand-loads and open sights, but the A&N sporters with the full-length rib have quite stiff barrels and are closer to 1 MOA.

The .375 JDJ facsimile shoots 1 MOA consistently from the bench with the meaty micro-groove barrel and tube-style ghost-ring sight on the clip-loading bridge.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com