vykkagur
(.300 member)
04/11/20 01:10 PM
Re: lee enfield on kangaroo

Quote:

Not only did I cut and file the tips off literally thousands of FN-49 headstamped .303 military surplus ammo in my youth, I drilled a 1/16th inch hole anout a quarter-inch in to make them hollow-points. I do remember deliberately NOT using a 1/8th drill bit for fear of possible core separation in the bore, so assume I read that somewhere during the 1970s.

Bagged plenty of roos and pigs in North Queensland with my old Lee Speed in those days, a plain-jane No.3 pattern that still occupies a space in my gunsafe.

What you were doing was actually duplicating the original Dum Dum bullet, which was simply the issue FMJ with the jacket removed at the tip and still with the open base. It was rejected by the British Army because of fears of core separation (so I guess we know where that story got started!) Expanding bullets had already been used for some time in hunting cartridges.

As Daryl says, in the public's mind, dum-dum was, for many years, the name for any expanding bullet. It was generally used in a negative connotation.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com