Rule303
(.416 member)
29/02/20 08:34 PM
Re: What animal screams 303b to you?

Quote:

Rabbits.

As a member of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) at School I worked the system. I was in the RAF section so learnt to fly. But also known to be a keen rifleman so I was sergeant in charge of the school range. Monday afternoons I would set up the range with No8s and Martini 22lr and have squads of 13 to 16 year old boys under my instruction. I myself would shoot 200 rounds a week!

As main rifles we had No 4s and a half a dozen Bren Guns - all fully working.

When it came to exercises I would be seconded to the Army as “enemy". Myself and a couple of others would be given a few handfuls of 303 blanks, a Bren and a couple of No 4s and told to go and provide skirmishing and covering fire.

Why Rabbits?

Well a 303 Blank has a hard cadboard wad. Army rations were pretty rank. If you get in close to some rabbits as you are creeping into an ambush. Then instruct your squad to take aim and when the attack is signalled you open up on half a dozen rabbits grazing quietly at 20 yards with a 303 bren and No4s, when the smoke clears there will be three or four rather dazed and stunned rabbits that with a quick rugby tackle can then be turned into a fine dinner over a camp fire!! It happened more than once.

. Guess it worked alright.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com