eagle27
(.400 member)
12/01/20 07:38 AM
Re: Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's

I've mounted many a one piece Parker Hale base to the various model SMLE 303 rifles and the screws are normally No 4BA for receiver and No 6BA for the rear bridge. I have the BA set of taps (Nos 1 to 6) and plenty of the screws.

The PH mounting system was poor although it was about all we could get for years before the Weaver system became available in NZ.

The cone shape recoil stud protruding from the base of one ring into a corresponding recess in the one piece base was a piece of poor engineering as the cone and recess taper worked to lift the ring under recoil so needed the ring to be kept very tightly clamped to the base. Problem was the long star headed through bolt doing the clamping was soft and easily snapped if torqued too tight. As soon as the Weaver system became available to me I ditched PH and never fitted another.

The one piece base, steel or alloy, for the SMLE held on okay with the fine threaded BA screws although like every base of any sort I have ever mounted I do epoxy glue the base and screws.

You should be able to locate some BA screws in Canada, if not get Prince Harry and Megan to exercise some usefulness and bring you out some from England!!!!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com