jc5
(.300 member)
06/09/19 04:45 PM
Re: Any updates on the lee speed book?

No, the book is not ready yet...it's progressing nicely, but I keep uncovering more stuff.

However, as I mentioned some time ago, an "appetizer" is now available, to partially satisfy those of you who are fans of the .375 Nitro. The article titled "Origins and Development of the .375 Nitro Express Lee-Speed Sporting Rifle" was published in the HBSA Journal (Vo.4, No.10) last December, but it has just become available to non-members as an inexpensive digital download:

http://www.hbsa-uk.org/knowledge-and-research/journal-summaries/hbsa-journal-volume-4-2009---2018

The download is money well-spent....the HBSA is a good cause.

The book chapter on the .375 will be more definitive (the article contains some speculation and outlines more of the detective work), but the article offers the kind of info you'll see in the book on a great many topics.

I sent off the article to the HBSA just before I left for the UK, where I uncovered a bit more on the .375, and confirmed what the article hypothesizes: it was C.W. Andrews who introduced the .375 Lee-Speed, but it was in 1905, not 1906. Off by one year or less...not too bad, considering what I had to work with.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com