9.3x57
(.450 member)
14/01/19 01:07 PM
Re: Hunting with the 303, please report

Quote:

Marc - your alloy has to be soft enough to have "some" obturation.

Rod, I havne't seen any green box .303's for quite a while, around here.

The .312" Hornady 174's, out of my (Ken Waters).312 Express shoot very well indeed. 1 1/2" at 100 meters. I have not put them into an animal yet. That round is chambered in my #4 & does 2,974fps with that bullet. Likely a bit fast for it inside 150 meters.
This 2-groove barrel is .315" groove to groove.

I've never used the horn 174's you reference. But we've tested and killed game with several Hornady Round Nose bullets and other Interloks which perform in game very similarly. They are invariably very accurate. Often amazingly so. They are fast-opening and length and/or weight seem to have no bearing on that. The fast opening {core loss, admittedly} and massive hemorrhaging that is common to these bullets must be taken into consideration and they can be taken advantage of depending on shots taken. I'm not shooting elephant and rhino, so it is often a lus, not a minus. I should add a caveat in that the 300 grain Hornady .375 Interlok can act as a FMJ at lower than about 1800 fps.

Same actually applies to other Interlok bullets. My son stopped using them when he had a couple blow up a lot of meat on deer and elk and went to Nosler P-titions in his Howa 6.5x55, but they have their own drawback.

Daryl, that round you quote is a screamer, and would at close range really put the stress on those bullets.

BTW: A friend had a #4 with a 2-groove barrel that slugged .308 in the grooves. Yeah,..... .308! Blew primers with every trigger pull!! I can't remember the make, but I always wondered if the maker used 1917 Enfield or '03 Springfield blanks for a run of Enfields.

I can only imagine the neck relief was the culprit!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com