9.3x57
(.450 member)
13/01/19 01:33 AM
Re: Hunting with the 303, please report

Marc:

That flat nose bullet looks great. And what a fascinating rifle!

I am w/ Daryl & Rule303. I have had some poor results with bullets that did not expand and in testing bullets which I used to post here years ago, it was revealed just how LITTLE damage a non-expanding pointed or RN will often provide if it stays on course. Simple holing, what I call the "ice pick effect" was of course the rule with the long, hard-jacketed Round Nose FMJ's of the early years of military "small-bores" {6.5-8mm} when impact took place at any range when the velocity had decreased down below about 1800 FPS and sometimes even at the higher near-muzzle velocities. Contrastingly, this "ice pick effect" was left behind with the terrible discovery of the light Spitzer bullet at much higher velocity and in 1905 era and following. It shows in the test media!

My favorite bullet in the .303 was the old Remington Core-Lokt 180 grain Round Nose. This bullet miked .310 and shot very well in .303 Brit and 7.62 Russian Mosin-Nagant rifles. Superb champignons were the rule! Or if you are in the Southwest of France, should I say perretxiko's? LOL.

One trick i found in years of playing with bullets is to flat point them. Various ways can be used, but I found that spinning selected socket over the bullet to scribe a line around the nose and then simply removing the tip to the scribed line on a grinding wheel works very well. Of course, there are other less "Hill Billy" ways to accomplish the same thing, but this method can be used to flat-point your semi-pointed and RN cast bullets, too and should improve their terminal effect.

Here's a bear shot with my gone-now No 5 MKI "Jungle Carbine". Remmy 180 RN CL of course;

And another with the same slug from a Finn M39;

Contact Us NitroExpress.com