Levallois
(.300 member)
06/08/18 04:15 AM
Re: New Find - No1 by William Evans..!

I was fortunate to buy Roy’s Lee Speed No. 1 retailed by William Evans.  Thanks Roy!  I’ve wanted another one since I foolishly sold my two Lee Speeds a few years ago and this one is a fine replacement!  It is even more special because it has factory records associated with it.  When Roy presented it to the group on this forum in 2016 there was speculation about who the reported purchaser was - an E. J. Hudson in the ledger book (erroneously reported as E. F. Hudson at one point).  Old Glass suggested this was probably Ernest John Hudson.  I think he was right.  My research shows he was the only gentleman of proper age with the means to purchase the rifle in 1904.  The same E. J. Hudson is listed in The Peerage, probably because of his marriage (see below).  However, I have not found unequivocal evidence linking the rifle to him.  I am still looking for probate and last will and testament information.  So, the following is just speculation for the time being.

E. J. was born in 1878 or 1879 depending on the source so he was old enough to have purchased the rifle in 1904.  His father’s profession is listed as a “Provisions Merchant.” Many of the merchant class became very wealthy in the late 19th century but I can’t find any evidence that this was so for the Hudson family.  There isn’t much about E.J. prior to 1899.  In 1899 he apparently joined the Middlesex Regiment mounted infantry as a private and went to South Africa to participate in the Boer War as did many young Britons.  He was able to somehow get a commission in the Queen’s Own, Royal West Kents, 2nd battalion later in 1899.  This unit was stationed in Aden so he was transferred there.  The 2nd never went to South Africa.  However, they did have an interesting confrontation with a sheik loyal to the Ottoman government northwest of Aden at Ad Dajaijah (lots of different spellings of this) near Ottoman territory in July 1901.  Muhammad Bin Nasir Mukbil, who collected taxes for the Turks, and Humar tribesmen constructed a fortified tower in Haushabi tribal territory. The Haushabi unsuccessfully tried to evict them so the British foreign office told Mukbil to vacate the tower because this location was still inside the British protectorate and he still did not comply. Consequently, a force of approximately 400 men were sent from Aden on the 14th of July, including 206 Royal West Kents.  The marched 106 kilometers in the middle of summer.  The march, as you might expect, was arduous – considered by one author to be one of the toughest campaigns of this era - two soldiers and a gunner died from the heat and a lieutenant and 20 men were sent back to Aden due to sun stroke. After the force arrived and the situation reconnoitered, the Queen’s Own and several Indian units attacked the tower and associated town on July 26th and there was a significant two-day battle to dislodge approximately 800 Turkish soldiers and 1200 Humars.  The West Kents brought along six mountain guns (7-pound artillery pieces) broken down and carried by camel.  These guns proved to be crucial to the success of the battle because they allowed areas to be “softened” before an infantry attack. Approximately 40 of the enemy were killed with an unknown number of wounded with four killed and five wounded from the expeditionary force.  Second Lieutenant Hudson, who participated in this campaign as the transportation officer, was one of the wounded.  This is fascinating, as I had never heard of this battle before now, probably because the Boer War was dominating headlines in 1901.   Thankfully, it was mentioned in a few publications.  

E. J. eventually was sent back to England in October 1901 via Malta and resigned his commission in England in June 1902 after being judged medically unfit for duty.  He was married later that year in December to Daisy May White.  She was the daughter of Sir George White, 1st Baronet of Cotham House, Bristol.  They were married at the Bristol Church and it must have been a big deal as there were architectural changes done to the church to commemorate their marriage. In January 1904, I am speculating that this E. J. Hudson was the one who purchased the Lee Speed from William Evans and took delivery of it in February.  In March that year, there are travel records that list a Mr. and Mrs. Hudson on a ship to Natal, South Africa.  While this is circumstantial, the data does fit the timeline.  You don’t buy a rifle like this and not take it to Africa or India to hunt with.  Also, marrying the daughter of a Baronet probably came with a healthy dowry so he could afford the Lee Speed and a safari. Daisy May and E.J. are listed in the 1911 census as married with two servants and no children.  He is also listed a stockbroker, probably working for his father-in-law who was also a stockbroker among other things including the founder of Bristol Airplanes.

At the start of first World War in August of 1914, Mr. Hudson joined up with his old unit, the Royal West Kents as a lieutenant.  He was in the 6th Battalion and sent to France.  He was promoted to captain in October 1914 but was sent back to England in August 1915 suffering from what appeared to be a nervous breakdown.  He must have gotten better because he was posted as adjutant for the No. 1 Infantry basecamp depot in France in October 1915.  In February 1917 he was appointed to the staff of GOC reinforcements at Havre until February 1919 – his rank was Brevet Major.  His father in law, Sir George White, passed away in 1916 suggesting his wife may have gotten an inheritance at that time.  This explains in part how in 1919 they could afford to buy Prosperous Farm in Hungerford.  This farm is where Jethro Tull developed his seed drill in 1741 revolutionizing agriculture.   E. J. also received his OBE in 1919 – Order of the British Empire.  This didn’t quite make him a knight with the honor of putting Sir before his name but it allowed him to have these three letters after your name.  After 1919 there is no real information about him until his death in 1943.  I suspect he travelled during this period but I’m still looking at the records.

Again, this is all educated speculation until I can find some probate records showing he owned the rifle at his death.  I will keep researching.  Thanks for reading this and for your patience. Hopefully more to come.

John

Contact Us NitroExpress.com