szihn
(.400 member)
22/04/18 01:02 PM
Re: Hunting with the 303, please report

Yeah, I may just stick with what the Irish gun shoots. As we can see, it's accurate, and a 30 cal 180- grain at closer to 2400 is a good recipe for venison in the freezer. I would not hesitate to take one of these rifles after elk or moose. It's about the same as the old 180 grain load for 300 savage, and I used those when I was a boy and never had any problems.

Thanks for your kind words gentlemen.

I like these old Lee sporters. Light and easy to shoot well.

I head spaced the chamber to set on the shoulder of the shells so there will be a lot less working of the brass in firing then with the military spec chambers. I simply didn't run the reamer in to the rim. I let the cartridge hit the shoulder with a .002" on the base. That means the rifles work best with the brass shortened from 2.222 to 2.200. But as was said by 9.3X64, you can still fire factory ammo. In fact, that what I did to get the sights close before I worked up the load with the 180 gr Core-Lokts. If anyone prefers the standard chamber I can always run the reamer in all the way, but for my own gun (or guns) I prefer to shorten the necks and let the brass head space on the shoulders.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com