338Fed
(.224 member)
27/02/18 10:59 PM
Re: Hunting with the 303, please report

Szihn,

I've owned and hunted with numerous .303 SMLE rifles over the last 30 years, either fullwood, sporterised, scoped or open sights.

As a teenager I mainly used the Mk7 ball, with the tip clipped off, then started reloading, mainly Speer 150 gr hotcor SP. At that time I was mainly shooting pigs and wild dogs. The Speers were good on the pigs, but supply was the main issue at the time in western Qld.

Now I'm in Far North Qld, the pigs are usually a bit bigger, and brumbies (wild horses) and scrub bulls (wild cattle) are now in the mix.

When I grab a .303 for nostalgic reasons and go for a walk, I now use the 174gr Hornady RNSP interlock. Have dropped a few bulls, numerous horses and tons of pigs with the bullet. It performs well, even on the very heavy game, always mushrooms nicely and penetrates deeply.

I have used the woodleighs in several other calibres, and reckon it would go well in the 303, but am very happy with the Hornady SP at 303 velocities to get the job done on everything up to cattle size.

Good luck

Contact Us NitroExpress.com