eagle27
(.400 member)
18/09/17 03:59 PM
Re: Unusual SMLE on mini-series "Gallipoli"

Believe it or not the old SMLE makes a good strong single shot 410 shotgun, ideal for young kids learning to shoot. The magazine cut off is good in this case as the 410 cartridge won't usually feed from the magazine anyway so you only load singles.

My father made many of these shotguns up and so did I in following years. With a bored out barrel, back sight removed and bead in place of a blade at the front the whole gun was surprisingly much lighter and handled well. Because the SMLE cocks on closing, with the bolt handle lifted the bolt retracts half an inch so you can see the half chambered cartridge and the bolt is stiff enough so it does not slide open. A very safe way to carry and quick to close the bolt and take a shot. A great setup for kids learning to shoot safely and of course learning to use that first and only shot to good effect. My brothers and I cut our teeth on the SMLE 410 shotgun and many a rabbit, pukeko and duck fell to our prowess with these guns. Wish I still had one, might have to make another one day for the grandkids.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com