Roy
(.300 member)
21/09/15 04:05 AM
B.S.A. Commercial Royal Navy Purchase Rifle..!

Greetings Chaps,

After the warm reception which I am most appreciative of, I thought I would share a special rifle with you. I'm afraid I'm not too keen on the whole photo hosting thing, so instead just created a private page on my own website to share with you all and will add a link below.

The Rifle..? Well this is a B.S.A. Lee-Speed (not marked as such) pattern of rifle - a No4 in .303. This one is especially interesting as it was one of only 970 rifles that were purchased by the Admiralty in March of 1915 for use on small craft. Apparently due to a shortage of arms at the outbreak of WWI many rifles were removed from RN ships and re-distributed (presumably to the Army). As an interim measure the Admiralty embarked on purchasing all manner of rifles to fill the gap. This included amongst others 970 commercial pattern BSA/LSA rifles. This fine example is one of those and carries the Broad Arrow and 'N' (for Navy) inspection mark.

Link: http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/BSA_Lee_Speed.html

I'm yet to shoot this example but plan to soon.

Hope you enjoy, Cheers, Roy.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com