Gunnie
(.224 member)
18/04/15 06:07 PM
Re: A new project on a Lee Speed action

OK, update time. Got eh timber back from Gordon, simply beautiful and more or less the same as yours Matt. The fore-end is a tad different though as Gordon altered the profile to accommodate the heavier profile barrel. plus he added a grip cap and stock bolts.

The metalwork is back with Allan for the fitting of the sights and bluing. I have to drop the fore-end off to him so he can fit a front action screw spacer. I have to also source a stockbolt, which is in the process.

Next up will be getting a few rounds to Allan so he can test fire etc. This is where I'm having a few issues. Couldn't get the brass out of the US in short order or without issues. So I bought a box of 405Win brass with the intent of sizing down. That caused further problems as the 375 shell holder won't fit the 405W brass.

Chased up a shellholder and now need to look at sizing. Though, I have found the base diameter, rim diameter and thickness are all different to the Kynoch factory rounds I picked up from a cartridge collector.

So much question to the masses is : what alternate brass is closer in these measurements to enable me to make some 375 NE Fl 2.5"cases?

Kynock factory case:

Rim dia: 13.15mm
Rim thickness: 1.6mm
Base dia: 11.57mm
Case length: 63.25mm

I'm thinking a step up from say 9.3mm projectile based rimmed cartridges would be a smaller step than coming down from 10.3mm (405W)

Any ideas gents??? Advice, information, as always is greatly appreciated.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com