Norman4
(.300 member)
19/01/15 07:48 AM
Re: Help with shot out bore

Quote:

Criterion is currently getting a No.4 barrel ready for market, after which they've started on the No.1 SMLE barrel. I have dropped off MLE take-off ("heavy barrel") which has the earlier knox (sp) form and the heavier contour, which like yours was shot out. Here's their web site and contact information. I agree, the heavy barrel would be more suited for the BSA, but a lot of them were re-barreled with the later SMLE barrels as well.

http://criterionbarrels.com/

Thank you for the information Nailcreek. I have had more than a few people tell me to just find an old chopped SMLE and swap the barrels. The only reason I have resisted, is a romantic infatuation with the nonmilitary commercial contour. Which, considering the actual value of the rifle, is probably impractical. But a brand new original SMLE contoured barrel in .303 might not make me feel like I was forsaking a friend. I probably could cut it down to the sporter 24" length and fit a sight to make it look reasonably civilized. I have a fondness for the .303 caliber itself. I live on the Canadian border and the woods were full of sporterized SMLEs in my youth. I suspect that they were only second to the 1894 Winchester carbines in proliferation with the 1899 Savages coming in somewhere after that. I would assume it reasonable to believe that this rifle made the trip down at some point. It sported a weaver side mount and an ancient brass trimmed weaver straight tubed scope. I could see it plausible that it hunted through two generations and the third sold Gramps rifle for cash or traded for a fiberglass stocked Savage in .270. A common enough story up here. In any event, you folks are offering me some plausible options!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com