Juglansregia
(.275 member)
13/11/14 10:16 AM
Re: BSA 1900 No 1 Sporter q's

With respect to the inference that set was roughly machined, I am at a complete, profound and utter loss. Have you blokes compared these to other sets of any style that are/were on the market?

The last one of these I fitted up took me a little over 5 hrs and was machined very slightly tighter than the set you worked. I am certainly not the quickest around. That time also included a bit of outside work matching the outside to the socket. Some go easier than others. The first one I did took me longer, naturally.

Tolerances of outside dimensions on actions and barrels vary quite a bit (in stock making terms). The sets are machined so that metalwork at the minimum end of the scale of things will likely still be able to be fitted with no gaps - or at least a minimum. I have nil interest in turning out "easy fit" sets because when folk see the result, it is the bloke who machined the set who cops the "tut tut tut's".

A good stockmaker will take the excess wood out with a minimum of fuss. There are a few tricks to inletting these, and the first few will take a fair bit longer than the job would take an experienced stocker. There is no substitute for patience and time stocking these things, they are one of the more time consuming magazine rifles. Unless by pure arse, if they were skinned out much further I'd have some folk whingeing about gaps.

The forend from memory is a copy of a genuine sporter owner by engraver Ron Croxon, cut a little shorter. It had a slightly longer and fuller forend, but was the most evenly profiled forend of the handful I have. I do have the shorter pattern forends. I especially like to machine the barrel channels a little tight because the axis of the action threads on these actions points all over the show, giving the impression the forend has warped. Too, not many of these barrels are actually straight. I also take into account that the profiles vary somewhat. A little extra wood is a good idea both on the inside and out.

I really think for a decent stocker, fitting these sets is a doddle. Compared to making the stock from the blank they are a joy to fit. Or at least should be.

All things considered I think it best for me to withdraw these sets from general sale, and supply them only to folk I know are accomplished, and avoid potential hassles.

Euan, if you are not happy, please email me and we will sort it out, no fuss from my end.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com