VonGruff
(.400 member)
08/07/14 03:37 PM
Re: BSA 1900 No 1 Sporter q's

Have got a few more things sorted today with work on the aperture sight, the front sight and the fifth coat of oil rubbed in.

I had been putting of going back to the aperture sight as I knew I was in for some work with the dremmel and needle files to get the aperture plate bedded into the aperture arm. I had used a little machine screw and nut to hold the two together but this made a protrusion underneath and had it sitting higher than I wanted, and of course would necessitate height on the front sight over what I wanted to have.
I filed from full thickness to about .01 at the end on the aperture plate and then scribed around it and sunk it into the underside of the aperture arm then filed most of the head off the machine screw, used it and riveted the underneath side to give me the smoothest line I could get. Then with just a little sanding on the dustcover attachment lug I was able to get the aperture arm to clear the bolt when it was sitting in its lowest position, actually sitting on the screws that hold it to the wrist of the rifle.

I got in touch with Scott from http://www.customscrewsandmore.com/Page4.html and he is making me a set of wrist screws that have a lever head with a thumb grip so that I can undo them a half turn and lift the sight to the top of its slide for bolt removal and because I will shoot "the load" in to where the slide is down on the top of the slide adjustment, it will be a simple matter to re-set it for my desired 150 yd zero.
It was going to need a taller front sight and I wanted one with a flat topped blade which I find the best for the aperture sight. The existing front sight was a inverted V so I filed it off and cut a groove into the ramp with hack saw and filed it to fit the new blade I made. It was a tap in fit but there is room to either pin it or for the GS to do a micro weld at the front, however even without this it was a tight fit. I am going to shorten the barrel by 3/4 inch to clean up the muzzle from pull throughs etc and this will still leave about 5/8 in in front of the sight ramp to the muzzle so will look right.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com