Juglansregia
(.275 member)
15/01/12 02:17 PM
Re: Lee Enfield help please.

Thanks for the kind comments.

FROM MEMORY (HAR! Not as good as it used to be), the grip on the new pattern is actually slightly more open than the "typical" original Lee Speed patent rifle I have measured, as far as "trigger-to-grip" measurements are concerned. It is the curve of the grip which is different. I cannot remember the comb dimensions off hand, but they are similar to many Lee Speeds, and suited to open sights. Cast is there, but not extreme.....just enough to make it comforable enough for the mythical average shooter. I can achieve minor dimensional variations when machining, and have the dimensions for this set duly recorded. I also now have a version of the new pattern without a cheekpiece. The cheekpiece on the new pattern has been very slightly changed from the pics. I can machine an integral euro style forend tip dowel on the sets if required.

These are not so easy to make, the forends are a bit of a task to fit up nicely, especially when the stocker infrequently tackles them. Like most jobs there are a few tricks to them. Maybe not a good project for a novice stockmaker.

Matt chose a nice piece of wood, I reckon. A bit cranky behind the wrist, but I feel it should be strong enough for the job. If it does go in years to come, I guess I'll just have to make him an even nicer set gratis. I gotta say, Matt was good to work for and Tony Small kindly facilitated sending/recieving the job to/from me.

Patterns like these take a lot of work, but in this case it is my while doing. A similar pattern for the No4 will be upcoming in a few months. Yes, I have all the Geoff Slee "custom" (I hate that word) patterns. Delivery time for exising patterns is fairly prompt (I machine in stages to allow the wood to relax so it takes some time), around 2-3weeks. New patterns are a different story entirely. I hope the moderators don't mind the info.........edit as you see fit.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com