Brithunter
(.300 member)
08/11/11 12:52 PM
Re: Another BSA sporter

Quote:

There will be no broad arrow on this one. BSA never sporterised Lee Enfields that had been in British service. This one was purposely built for civilian sale in the 1920s. If you find a broad arrow that means something has been swapped out after it was sold, or (rarely) that it was a commercial model drafted into service during the war.

The forend wood is unusual because the shape and checkering seem correct for a commercial BSA, but the cutout for the absent charger bridge really shoudn't be there. It could be that this was one of the first out the door after production resumed in 1919 and BSA only had wood available with this cutout. That's just speculation. I have seen one other with this type of forend (that had the cutout but didn't have a charger bridge). BSA was also offering models at this time with the charger bridge, so we cannot assume it is incorrect without closer examination. Then again, both forend and buttstock could be replacements...hard to tell without more photos.

The crown over BM is your commercial Birmingham proof mark. The words on the barrel about the MkVII cartridge were put there by BSA (not by the proof house). This was mainly to reassure customers about the sighting. BSA continued to offer rifles sighted for the earlier MkVI cartridge.

The single stage trigger was normal for these commercial rifles. It was the old pre-SMLE type of trigger.

When you say that the numbers are all matching, what do you mean? Does 15202 appear anywhere else on the rifle?

As for the holes, my first Lee Speed had the same ones. Almost certainly for scope mounts (why else?), but this would have been done by the owner or his gunsmith, not by BSA. Definitely have it checked out to be sure it's safe. Headspace too, obviously.

The front sight protector was a pre-war BSA item, found on many of the sporting rifles.

Would you care to fill out my Lee Speed survey? Please drop me a PM and I will send it .

Thanks!

Well all I can say on my purely commercial BSA sporting rifle if you remove the forestock there is a large broad arrow impressed into the recoil shoulder. The forestock not only is of sporting profile but is chequered and has a horn tip and the profile is the same as the other BSA sporters of it's type. The rifle was built by BSA and retailed by Wm Powell & Son of Birmingham.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com