FrankS
(.300 member)
05/04/09 04:53 PM
Re: poor mans version of the lee speed

Actually the caliber of choice is at this time between two calibers. I have a long branch 2 groove barrel thats on another rifle its in great condition and has just been completely cleaned of any copper fouling so as to shoot cast bullets.Has one small pitted area about 8" from the muzzle and that should not present any problems with cast bullets. The other choice of caliber is the 303 british cartridge necked up to take 375 diameter jacketed bullets or 377 diameter cast bullets. That barrel is presently a semi turned barrel blank. I have enough meat at the breech end of the barrel blank to get a good mate up between the receiver and the barrel. Since the 375 blank will probably see more cast bullets than
jacketed ones it just may have a heavy taper to it maybe on the order of .750 at the muzzle.It should finish up about 24" long when all is said and done. Never did any barrel work in a lathe before sso this will be a definite learning experience for me. Will be using military wood for this as I cannot afford a fancy two piece stock set.I already have the butt stock and for end from springfield sporters. The enfield for end will require a lot of cleaning and reshaping as it came of a drill rifle. Will see how well it matches the long branch for end I already have. So that's about it for now. Frank

Contact Us NitroExpress.com