darwinmauser
(.300 member)
04/04/09 10:24 PM
Re: poor mans version of the lee speed

Quote:

darwinmauser,well it started out as a jungle carbine receiver. Since I don't have a milling machine all work was accomplished with files aka "the norwegian milling machine". I removed the charger bridge with a small hacksaw, then settled down listening to celine dion on the radio and commenced filling away. Figure I have about at least 30 hours just in filing. The left sidewall was probably the hardest to do. I didn't cut it down as far as others had. As I wanted a little suport for the receiver ring. Found a spare bolt that wasn't pitted and that also is in the white. That channel in the bolt rib was the hardest of all to do. Made up some wooden forms which when arapped with abrasive paper helped remove all the paint, divots in the metal and basically cleaned it up real nice. Next step is to take a large large semi turned barrel blank and make something useful out of it.Should finish up about 24 inches long. Scope mounting is out for now. But have a nice redfield receiver sight that a friend in california used a surface grinder on the back and this should do well with the 35 receiver. Wood will be ex military from springfield sporters. Got the buttstock, and a few other bits. But have to get the trigger, sear spring,and mag release, as well as the bolt release assembly. So as money becomes available I'm getting the bits and pieces bits and pieces at a time. Only way I can presently afford it. When done will be bead blasted and then blued. So instead of a shiny black finish I'll have a matte finish.So that is where I stand right now. Frank

Well OK that makes sense now. Are you keeping it in 303 or is it going to get adventuress ???

I'm also building a speed, one thing led to another and mine's going to become a 375 ,2 1/2 flanged Nitro Express.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com