jc5
(.300 member)
05/02/09 06:33 PM
Two types of Lee Speeds

No, that one WAS really a Lee Speed, at least according to my definition, which is: a commercially made Lee Metford or Lee Enfield, intended for sale to civilians and not surplus. I use the term "Lee Speed" as a convenient way to refer to any commercial gun, whether it's a sporter or a military configuration, regardless of whether it actually says "Lee Speed patents" on it.

Other the other hand, a gun that was made at RSAF Enfield (except maybe an Envoy or Enforcer on the No.4 pattern), or at BSA/LSA as part of a War Office contract is therefore NOT a 'Lee Speed." Even if it was restocked with the fanciest walnut checkered stock by the most expensive gunsmith in all of Patagonia, inlaid with ivory horn caps, fitted with a match barrel, a solid gold magazine, and had a Swiss watch fitted to the buttstock...it will never be a Lee Speed. It is still a surplus gun, made originally for the military. It would be a very fancy sporterization, but still a sporterized rifle.

Maybe a better term than "Lee Speeds" is simply "commercial Lee Enfield."

Among the commercial rifles (often stamped "Lee Speed patents"), you will find sporters (i.e., short slender forends, pistol grips, express sights; intended for hunting game) and also rifles in military configuration (often indiscriminately called Volunteer Patterns, Territorial Patterns). These latter looks almost exactly like the Gov't military rifles, and will be found to resemble Long Lees, Charger Loading Lee Enfields, even SMLEs. That is, they look just like your average Army equivalent, except they will have a nicer finish, nicer wood, and perhaps some custom touches, maybe target sights. And they will NOT have any sovereign's crown, or a date, or any Gov't stamps or proofs...unless they were drafted into service at some later date, which is a whole can of worms and source of headache for those of us who are researching these things. These military type rifles were usually privately purchased by Volunteer officers or by civilian target shooters.

As for explaining prices...well, no one can explain that. Why does someone let go of one for $650 and another guy asks $4000? There's no Price Guide out there that is worth anything. There's only how much someone is willing to pay. In a less enlightened era, we called this "the market." A fellow sold me a Long Lee once for $500 because he needed the money. If another guys asks four grand, then maybe he doesn't (in his heart of hearts) really want to sell it? I have never seen a Lee Speed sell for more than $2,000 (and that was pristine), but I'm sure someone has paid more, if they really wanted it. On the lower end, I have seen decent shooters with swapped parts sell for around $600.

Often, commercial Lees are simply misidentified as Gov't rifles or carbines. Just as often, sporters are misdiagnosed a "conversions." In both cases, they sell for less money than they otherwise would.

If anyone out there owns a Lee Speed and want more info, or if you know of a rifle that MIGHT be a Lee Speed, please feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
JC

Contact Us NitroExpress.com