tinker
(.416 member)
01/12/08 01:10 PM
Re: So, a Lee-Speed action falls in your lap...

9mm-

I may be talking myself into doing just that.
There are two projects on the fire right now which will prove most distracting once they crown the proverbial breech.

When I was slipping this action into my back pocket on the way to the wagon, I was thinking much more of lobbing it out to the mates here on the forum than keeping it for my own use. I've been rescuing obscure and desirable tidbits such as this for nearly all my life - most often the tenure of possession is fleeting at best.

The thought of a replica Lee-Speed sporter in barrel take-down configuration (ever seen one..? - not me) chambered for the 'mini big-bore' is starting to hold some traction.
Was it Marrakai who tipped us to the Australian source for current production replica Lee-Speed Sporter rough-inlet wood kits?
Anyone here care to comment on that?

If close-to-shape wood is available with good color and figure, at an affordable price -- I might just be looking at taking this thing to completion.
(isn't that how Clinton distinguished the letting of a payload into his assistant..? never mind)

9.3, will an 'every day low price' enfield bolt work in one of these actions with little to no modification?
You got a spare out in the woodshed that you could drop in the mail?
I could build a bolt shroud in the machine shop, the engraving patterns on the high-zoot London sporters were simple and sparse, I could handle that task as well.

I bet you even have a 375 barrel in the right contour propping the chicken-coop door open out back behind the corral. I have plenty of stock from which to mill a full-rib and sight bases.

Hm.

Glen Fewless does an ultra sweet Best Blacking job, and I bet he wouldn't kick something like this off his stoop...

Waaaaitaminnit!
This could easily get out of hand and become a sporting rifle before I knew it!!

Cheers
Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com