9.3x57
(.450 member)
16/04/08 12:47 PM
Re: .303 British as a hunting calibre?

Thanks for posting Jabali.

When comparing different rounds, I always run them thru the mental grid of common "gun shop talk", such as "a high sectional density bullet outpenetrates a lower sectional density bullet", "lower velocity bullets outpenetrate high velocity bullets", etc. Such commonly repeated assertions do not always pan out to be true.

In fact, many bullets of typical deer and elk calibers penetrate similarly. Not identically, but similarly. There are those that significantly outpenetrate these loads here, but they are typically of premium bullet construction.

Temporary and permanent wound cavities cannot be measured in this media, but hydraulic effect on the first jug can be judged at least subjectively. For my own personal and practical purposes, that's good enough. For example, I want an elk bullet to obliterate the first jug and then go on to be found in the 3rd jug, or more. Some "hard" bullets and cast bullets will give caliber-sized holes thru the first jug and leave it essentially intact. Such performance normally indicates a bullet that will give poor terminal effect on game and leave a poor blood trail.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com