12/09/10 12:52 AM
Good pictures:LOL

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/The_Ghost_and_the_Darkness

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/09/10 12:58 AM
Re: Good pictures:LOL

Good stuff.

I reckon using those frames, we could identify the actual firearms on here.

Huvius
(.416 member)
12/09/10 01:42 PM

The Farquharson is a neat variant.
The lever on the right is not a safety as would be found on a Jeffery, but a cocking lever.
In the scene, there is a closeup of the gun when he attempts to fire it and the lever can clearly be seen falling. All he had to do is pull the lever back to try again at a shot.
Cool cutaway recesses on the action too.

jc5
(.300 member)
21/09/10 03:00 AM

Looks like the top photo came from one of our forum members. I hoped they used it with permission!

DarylS
(.700 member)
21/09/10 08:18 AM

The confrontation with Douglas shows he does not have a double barreled breechloading Howdah as noted, but a 4 barreled, swivel breech cap lock pistol. In these pictures, the barrels with attached bayonete are on the bottom. Quite a piece.

That the pistol might have been made soley for the movie and could actually be a prop, is quite possible. There is a strap underneath the action fitting quite tightly against the tops of the patent breeches. It does not have enough clearance for the high-standing nipples as eveident on the top-most barrels. The high standing capped nipples themselves are not normal for an English piece - more likely to be cound on a modern Italian replica of their own poor design, which is typical - see Pedersoli's.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/09/10 12:18 AM

Quote:

Looks like the top photo came from one of our forum members. I hoped they used it with permission!

OK I looked for that image on the NE forums. It does look familiar but couldn't find that specific one.

Actually doing an image search of the forums.nitroexpress.com domain, it is amazing what pictures we have here. Astounding. Well done to the members.

450_366
(.400 member)
22/09/10 06:06 AM

Quote:

The confrontation with Douglas shows he does not have a double barreled breechloading Howdah as noted, but a 4 barreled, swivel breech cap lock pistol. In these pictures, the barrels with attached bayonete are on the bottom. Quite a piece.

That the pistol might have been made soley for the movie and could actually be a prop, is quite possible. There is a strap underneath the action fitting quite tightly against the tops of the patent breeches. It does not have enough clearance for the high-standing nipples as eveident on the top-most barrels. The high standing capped nipples themselves are not normal for an English piece - more likely to be cound on a modern Italian replica of their own poor design, which is typical - see Pedersoli's.

What do you mean, that the frontsuffer he is holding is a four barreld one?

jc5
(.300 member)
23/11/10 03:43 PM

That image is one of Rowdy's, I'm sure.

Having had the displeasure of seeing entire paragraphs of my own posts used without credit on other forums (on Lee Speeds, of course), I get a bit miffed with this kind of laziness. But then, who knows? Maybe Rowdy wrote up the whole page on Ghost & the Darkness! More power to'em!

DarylS
(.700 member)
24/11/10 03:57 AM

Andreas - the one I referred to had high standing cap=-lock hammers for the top barrels with nipples sticking up too high. Yes - it is a muzzleloading pistol, at least for the top barrels. Being a 4 barreled gun, perhaps the bottom barrels are supposed to be ctg. I cannot see it being a real gun. I've never heard of one like that, - guess it's certainly possible. The gun I mention is not the one pictured amongst the ctg. Howdahs, the 4 barrel Lancaster, for instance, but a different & much heavier, larger gun gun entirely.

tinker
(.416 member)
24/11/10 12:09 PM

I don't think that percussion pistol is a swivel breech and I don't think it's a 4-barrel. I think it's a stack double.
One nipple fires the bottom barrel, one fires the top.
Stack guns of this configuration are/were not uncommon.
Beretta did the 12b O/U percussion 'repro' shotgun in this fashion for instance.

Cheers
Tinker

TH44
(.375 member)
28/11/10 11:14 AM

Hi Guys

Just picked up this thread, (I have a Westley Richards Lee speed? I will post when I have time)

I have spent the last half hour watching my recording if the movie, using the "pause" button and 1/16 speed

Tinker is right, the gun is definitely a "stacked double" or o/u. When using the pause button the single barrel width is very clear

The bayonet/spring knife is secured to the lower barrel, therefore it is not a swivel, and

The two nipples with (aluminium? for the movie?) caps are level on each side of the top barrel

I take it the long (at least an inch) passage to the lower barrel is not a problem?

There is a ramrod in short tubes on the left side "between" the barrels, there is no securing swivel

All in all an interesting weapon, as are the other guns noted. Whoever the "firearms advisor" was on the movie they cetainly were well informed (maybe a cartridge Howdah would have been nice!)

TH44

Contact Us NitroExpress.com