9.3x57
(.450 member)
14/12/07 01:13 AM
Re: Wolf Hunting in Europe???

Yes, Lithuania is one I'm familiar with. A friend of mine is Lithuanian, and travels back every year to hunt there with family. He has not shot a wolf, but tells me that in some parts of the country they are shot more-or-less on sight due to their deleterious effect on game numbers.

Our wolf population here is skyrocketing, with the game department now unsure of the total numbers but last I heard they guess 2000 or so. They told us originally the annual increase would be a very low percentage, but I've been told of a Canadian study that indicated in some circumstances annual wolf increase can approach 30% or greater. Even this number would not bring us to the levels we are told they are at now, so either the Feds are not being totally straight with us {ya don't suppose...} about how many they dumped in Idaho in the '90's, or other sources are contributing to the increase {release of wolfcross bitches in heat have already been reported} or the annual recruitment is in excess of 30%, or all of the above.

Any other countries in Europe have huntable wolves?

I know Sweden and Norway {Finland, too?} have wolves, but I do not believe they are legally hunted?

We had one of the bastards standing on the railroad tracks behind the ranch house here a few months ago, staring at my sheep and horses which were grazing about 100 yards away. My wife who is not a hunter saw it and has now agreed to commence rifle training this winter. We have had some very bad experiences with stray and wild dogs, and we have no desire to add wolves to the mix. Also had one on the hayfield during deer season and I have watched one chase a deer a few years ago. Most of us didn't want them and still don't want them but we are stuck with them.

What is the view of wolves in parts of Europe where they may be found? Are there natural controls on their populations {disease, etc}? Curious to know...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com