gryphon
(.450 member)
25/01/04 06:52 AM
Re: Pigs, the common man's big game

A walk along a river or creek at either end of the day watching big pigs rooting the banks is always a top scene for the hunter and the relatively high success rates on pigs makes them a very targetable species especially for the young fella doing the learning curve thing as they are as a huntable species that little bit further up the hunters evolutionary ladder.
The fact that when i was younger we could go out and nail 20 or more for a quick mornings hunt....sometimes very fast and furious shooting with multiple shots on fast breaking pigs enabling one to have fantastic rifle/gun experience for later life, often enough around those days to bypass good pigs for better ones made for great days.

Catching big boars with good dogs and finishing with a knife is a fantastic way of hunting and can be a very exciting hunting pastime, sometimes with a small element of danger in being cut up yourself adds "flavour" to this fast paced sport.Although the old pig hasnt the great all round senses of the major game species here in Oz there are probably more pig hunters here than all other hunters combined.I spoke to the editor (BJ) of Guns `n Game about the lack of deer on his mag cover and he said to me that every boar on the front cover sold many more editions than any deer pic ever would........so they even win the magazine points the old humble pig.

The solid thwack of a bullet reaching far out on a big boar on the plains is a welcome sound for any hunter to hear especially when said boar go`s arse over on the spot which adds to the day of course and when you get a big fella giving his best to give it back to you in a close encounter thats a real buzz too....dogs an hog in a whirlpool ball and you trying to get in with the knife makes for special mem`s for me as well

Contact Us NitroExpress.com