NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/10/24 12:54 AM
Re: Red rut 2004

Quote:

We ourselves take the heart, liver and tongue. Heart and liver are superb fresh (if they smell we bath them in milk) baked on onion and tongue is dried, seasoned and lately served cut.

Yes - the whole point of hunting stags in the rut is to hear them and then stalk them - much funnier than sit and wait for them

All the venison goes for human food. Stags smell pretty badly in rut time - but a month at -30 deg C takes all the smell out. Clients usually don't take the meat with them, it is sold to a contractor that processes the meat and sells it in big groceries.

Thanks for the answer

I've taken a couple red stags, several fallow bucks, a chital and a sambar. A great many farmed fallow. I'm thinking none were in the rut. So never had the problem.

An "Australian-Austrian" friend I hunted with was a butcher. He educated me about various aspects. Like never to touch the males glands then touch meat without washing ones hands first. In Zimbabwe when taking a Waterbuck, often a Waterbuck meat is thought to be unpalatable, inedible. But again I was educated,mthe outfitter brought the Waterbuck to the base, washed and shampooed it. Removed the waxy coating. Touching that then the meat spoils the meat. Washed he claimed the meat was fine. The dirty stinky rutting stags might benefit from such treatment, less contamination of the meat.

Red deer in Australia is introduced, feral. Usually no "game" status. Many hunters just wanting a trophy just waste all the meat. Especially if it's in the rut. Many especially armchair internet experts have no respect of any kind for game. Complete low life's.

Of course hunters will hunt in the rut when especially in forests it's easier to find them. Of course many will take the meat or at least the better cuts.

Interesting a month in the freezer fixes it. Mincing the meat into sausage sounds like one end result.

I love good red deer venison, More gamey than fallow. Both are nice.

We used to eat fallow liver fresh after killing, cooked with onions in a fry pan. Always excellent unless one got a crunchy bit.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com