93mouse
(.375 member)
24/08/22 03:44 AM
Roe Bucks and Boars in Croatia

Back from Croatia in the beginning of August - was hunting Roe Bucks and Boars.

Will keep it short and will add more if needed.

It was hot and dry - boar population is very good, roe rut was just beginning. Scenery was - well it somehow reminds me of Africa - I wouldn't be surprised if a Buffalo, Elephant or Lion would be around :

We were calling bucks in the daytime and waiting for boars in the evenings - through the nights - tho at the end it wasn't needed since boars were active during day/dusk time already - it was quite interesting when one was calling Roe Buck a boar would turn up to check if there is a free snack somewhere - looks like they are quite used to look for a roe fawn and eat it if they could:

Boar on Roe Call 1

Boar on a Roe Call 2

Anyway - on one of the evenings I was sitting on a passage when at app 150m a boar appeared in the long grass between the bushes - he was walking slowly without stopping - as soon as I saw that he was worth shooting he went behind a tree and soon appeared again just to enter the bush not to be seen anymore - however I managed to squeeze one in prior to that.

Loud "flop" of solid bullet hit and he was down on the spot - just to be back on his feet making mad dash toward bush - I could see he was lacking some steam - and he was gone. We found it 50m away. Bullet - 8x68S SAX - entered on the shoulder and exit behind the opposite shoulder. 5-6 years old, 150kg - on the hook gutted.

On the final morning I was calling for Roe Buck - and at first a boar sow came to a call - when she figured out that I wasn't interesting she went off - pigglets were 2 minutes behind her.

Then I spotted a buck chasing doe 200m away - I made a call but the buck wouldn't bother...so since I had time ( I was waiting for a guy to collect me later on) I kept on calling - finally after one hour - buck obviously had it with a doe, came through the bushes looking for me at 50m and was down for good...

Nice old buck

It was another great summer in Croatia

Contact Us NitroExpress.com