DarylS
(.700 member)
18/02/21 04:55 AM
Re: Your favourite or most popular European hunting calibre

"The 8x57 is said to be one of the most popular choices still in Central Europe. It is the .30-06 of Europe. No doubt some older rifles, but still chambered by smart gunmakers selling in Central Europe."

Yes, I can see that as well as that class of rifle being popular. I would have expected the 7x57 to be more popular, though.
I've had a bunch of 7x57's, 8x57's, but none now. Do have a couple 6.5x55, both game-less so far. Not much of a big game hunter any more. Used to go for a moose or deer in the fall - kinda slipped by the wayside there as well as the small game/vermin shooting I did with the .224's, .22's and .17 CF's and RF's.
Still have a couple 6.5x55's and 2, 9.3x62's. I guess that counts for something. Also a .303 #3 and a #4 that I rechambered for my .315 Express - a year before I found out Ken Waters had done that earlier, called it a .312 Express.
Fired a few rounds out of it & that's about it. I thought it would make a good "truck" gun.
I've had a set of 7mm/06 dies for about 40years, thought I'd like one of those, or a 7x64 - likely use the same dies. i guess I need one of those around-tu-its.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com