NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/04/20 08:29 PM
Re: My 2019-2020 Hunting Season

Quote:

Thank you Matt.
Storing still warm venison into plastic bags is not ideal but the only option I know when field processing harvested animals without bringing carcasses back. In my case, as hunting areas in Western Europe of temperate climate are never too distant from the nearest fridge or freezer, roe deer venison goes to fridge 3 to 6 hours after having been field butchered and I never got sick or food poisoned (yet?). With mountain game it's slightly different as one can get out for several days in a remote hunting cabin, but as most mountain hunting occurs in either Fall or Winter, day and night temperature are usually low and allow keeping venison outside for a longer period of time; for example, the isard harvested this year went to freezer 36 hours after having been butchered. Anyway I would be pleased to learn in case of different techniques (apart from salting or smoking) from Down Under.
Louis

While I like hanging my carcasses in a cooler or refridgeration, I find hanging them here in Winter for two or three days is not a problem. If the nights are cool, say 0 to 10 deg C, and the days not too farm, mid teens, the meat is OK. Similar for some of autumn and spring. Nights which are frosty are good. Summer is a real problem. Need to hang somewhere cooled and get in a fridge or freezer quickly.

Flies? I use meat bags, or sheets sewn into bags. Omce had flies get onto the hanging legs and maggots travel down the leg into the meat. Cut off the infect meat and bone. The maggots travelled down the bone into the meat from within.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com