szihn
(.400 member)
14/10/19 06:44 AM
Re: PPU 9.3MM bullets?

Daryl said:
"Steve, I've heard only one report on the 285gr. Hornady SP. It was not particularly good, finding the bullet was very soft. The shot was from a 9.3x62 at fairly close range, running shot hit the spine back a bit far and of course dumped the deer. The guy posted a picture and there was a crater where he hit the deer's spine, the bullet not going any further. That's not a very big bone, even though a 200 pound animal(Alberta). The total penetration perhaps 6". "

Dang, I hope I don't have those things happen to me. I have seen the exact same thing with the Speer 270 gain fired from my 9.3X74R, and also once with a Hornady RN 250 grain 338, fired from a Mauser in 338-06. 5 to 6" of penetration when hitting spines. My friends Rich had bad "blow-ups" with the Lapua 286 gr too.

In the 9.3X57 I think the PPU 285 RN is going to be excellent (I am hoping) but starting at only 2200 FPS, I expect range may be limited as to expansion. I don't have any info on that yet. If PPU were to make spitzers I may try them because they would hold onto a bit of velocity a bit farther then the RN, and speed is not something the 9.3X57 has a lot of anyway.

I have used the Nosler Accu-Bond 250 grain in one of my 9.3X57s and it will go a bit faster because it's lighter, and hold velocity a bit farther because of it's shape, but they only make them on limited runs, and when you do get them they are too costly for me to get any meaningful practice with.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com