DarylS
(.700 member)
17/07/19 04:09 AM
Re: Wild Boar Attacks 2019

Quote:

Quote:

Daryl spot on. In his book "Shotgunning The art and the science" Bob Brister describes how he taught a teenage girl how to shoot

Fantastic book.
I have a copy of it here.

That is a good book. I will have to get it.

When I spoke of shooting high "from the hip" I was referring to the shotgun. Some are worse for this than others, like very short barreled 12 bores or pistol-griped shotguns seem to really shoot high. Even the standard 18" bls. were really bad for shooting high. Ours (Corrections) were M870's with 20" bls. and tube extenders for 7 rounds total, so with one up the spout, they were 8 shot guns. They were not as bad, but still, the tendency was to shoot high from the hip.
We had to run drills of holding the left arm, hand on the forend, with elbow locked. That usually gave centre of mass hits - with average shaped individuals, locking the elbow for each shot. We also demo'd that mounting the gun for snap shooting was just as fast, or faster then all the second guessing of trying to shoot from the hip.
At this point, I will note, the "token" females we were made to enlist on the riot squad all quit after the shotgun training.

The guys were taught to automatically count their rounds fired and loaded while safety-on & reloading between targets when moving, safety off and shooting. It all became instinctive for them. At any time we'd halt them and ask how many rounds in the gun - they had to know then prove it - and after a few trials & watching others, had to be counting-always, they became not only accurate shooters, but always knew what was in the gun - spectator or shooter had to count as well, as anyone was liable to be asked - CEASE FIRE - HOW MANY ROUNDS IN THE GUN - BOB? - DAVE? - RON? - KEITH? or the shooter would be asked.

That was fun and games & actually quite stressful for the shooter, when running stages - barricade to barricade on multiple targets, ALL called by #, having to reposition to use as much cover as possible.

I loved the training, every spring.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com