steve20
(.224 member)
20/10/15 10:18 PM
Last Buck

I had not been out stalking since August, As the buck season is almost over, I thought that I should have a wee look about this evening, (19th.)

The weather was very fair, with a light, southerly breeze, and a temperature of 12 degrees, at 17:30 hrs.

I liked the look of a stubble field, adjacent to a mature, mixed wood, the majority of which runs south, off my ground, for about a mile and a half. Roe from this wood cross the march and feed on my ground.
So, 17:30hrs. saw me parked up in another stubble field, overlooking the park that I thought promising.

Straight away, I spotted three Roe, feeding in the stubble. Initially, I thought it was a doe and twins, but , after glassing them, It looked more like two adults and one calf. I was too far away to see if one was a buck, so i decided to get closer, and stalk in for a look-see.

I drove down to a field to the south east, grabbed my rifle etc. and set off.

The field still had bales in it, so I made my way, using the bales as cover, until I was about 150 yards from where I had last seen the three roe. Standing behind a bale, and glassing the field, I could not see any deer. They could have gone back into the wood, or be hidden in a fold in the ground, so I opted to watch and wait.

By 18:15hrs. the light was failing. I had the thought to move forward, giving me a view into the hidden ground.

Before I could move, I had a really strong feeling that there was something behind me. I very slowly turned slightly, and there was a roe, about 100 yards away, watching me!

Oh so slowly, I lifted my glasses. It was a wee buck. Resting my back agaist the bale, I moved my sticks into position, grabbed the Sako, and settled it.

The buck relaxed, and started feeding, maybe twenty yards from the edge of the wood. I had minutes of light left, so took the shot, necking the buck and dropping him on the spot.

He just about had six points.

I had him hanging in my shed by 19:20hrs. starting to cool down, and had weighed in at 18Kg.

A nice end to my buck season.

Steve.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com