NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/06/11 01:33 AM
Re: Pics of the day - Hunting in Europe

Quote:

Fabulous photos. I love the stonework in castles.

And in the photos it appears that someone with France safaris got a giraffe which is great to see. Giraffe is an under-appreciated hunt. In areas where they are hunted, they run! They are hard to approach and difficult to bring down.

About the tapestry, I never understood why carpets were hung on walls. What was the theory and how did they eventually end up on the floor?

If you have a look at some of the photos I posted from India, some years ago, you will see what looks like lattices carved from wood, which is actually intricate stone carvings on the buildings. The European stone and plaster work is neat too.

My guess regarding tapestries is they are a form of insulation. Cold stone walls covered with tapestries would be a lot warmer. Also another great hunting chateau of the Loire Valley, I must post some photos from there too, and also of the "tiny" royal hunting "lodge" of Chambord, is Cheverny Castle or Chateaux. This Chateaux still has the several hundred year old leather wall coverings which I believe also were a form of insulation.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com