9.3x57
(.450 member)
16/07/09 10:54 PM
Re: roebuck season 09(another one :) )

Yes, yes, forgot the smoothbore. Got it now.

We receive no annual income for planted trees though we can under certain circumstances get assistance to offset the cost of planting them. Basically tho, in order to comply with the Idaho Forest Practices Act, we must replant all clearcuts, cost on us, that taken out of the income from the original logging, if there was any.

Have you had any problems with depredation from roedeer? I forgot to add, before planting, we did dip all pine seedlings in Plantskydd, the blood product from Sweden, to discourage browsing by ungulates. Hard to say how well it worked. Odd winter conditions that year caused hundreds of head to congregate on my place and they flattened the plantation. For 5 years I left the coyotes alone, too, to encourage them to stick around and eat voles, rabbits, etc that girdle trees. Lots of trouble we faced! I even bought a rifle, a Savage 110 in .223 and shot over a thousand ground squirrels that were digging up my newly planted seedlings {probably attracted to the loose, scarified spot}. It was a lot of work with no material reward but much conservation work doesn't. The place had been mismanaged for many years prior to our buying it.

Now they are established and I shoot every coyote I can get a bullet in as the management plan has changed, that is, to encourage settlement of deer since they are no longer a threat to the trees. Due to activity of neighboring landowners {State and private} there are far fewer deer than there used to be and due to wolves, fewer elk, too.

How much of a threat are fox to your roedeer?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com