9.3x57
(.450 member)
11/02/08 01:03 AM
Re: Two of the Best....

Yes, SIG 226 in .357 SIG caliber. I didn't do much on it. It is a police trade-in which when I got it had been shot very little, but it came with bulky aftermarket grips so those got switched with recent-production factory grips {about the thinnest going, a good thing for my hands and the thick 226 grip}. I also replaced the modern plastic mainspring housing with an older steel one, and replaced the long stock trigger with a SIG factory "Short" trigger. More or less I did all this with a 226 in 9x19 I have so they are identical. Both also have Tritium Night Sights which have enough metal around the insert to allow filing for zero of the front. I also thinned the front so I can see a lot of light on either side of the sight. Then reblued the sights.

I've called SIG in the past and they have given me the history of my pistols; dates made, sales dates, records of returns and rebuilds if applicable.

The Makarov comes with very high sights. And every edge is sharp as a razor. I filed and sanded off all sharp edges and then lowered the sights, then zeroed it with files using WOLF FMJ and S&B factory FMJ. Then had it reblued. I replaced the military stocks {lanyard loop cuts into my hand shooting left handed} with some cheesy cheap aftermarket jobs and rasped and sanded them to fit {they had a right hand finger rest}. It is a great accurate little pistol with far better trigger pull than any Walther or Browning 1910/22 I've shot or tried and far more accurate to boot. Group above shot at 20 meters {a shovel helps a guy find the range markers... }.

We use our pistols for varmint shooting, stock killing, on the trapline, etc.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com