tinker
(.416 member)
20/10/05 01:40 PM
The half inch smith is a good one...

For what it's all worth, the .500 Smith & Wesson is actually a really nice round.

It is capable of seriously substantial terminal energies *and* it's a really sweet shooting gun with the lighter loads. Set up in the proprietary X frame, with the tensioned barrel and the unique crane lockup, it's also quite accurate.

I'd been eyeing one of the ten inch barreled PC Hunter models at the recent ammo shack, my first impression of it (for months, really) was that it was just silly.
With the perspective that it's a very light and compact high power big bore hunting repeating rifle system, it starts to look more interesting.
I've shot mine quite a bit now, and have set up with some very accurate handloads for it with gascheck cast bullets that put everything in the ass of a beer can at a hundred yards. They do that with remarkable retained energy at that range too, and with those loads the revolver is a very capable threat against deer and pigs out here on the west coast.
With a simple swing of the cylinder the gun can be set up to whack the snot out of the biggest game out here in North America.
I don't treat mine like a sweet handling light holster woods gun, I have those and like them for what they are. I got the 500 mag -really more than anything- for kicks and giggles, and all the while see the thing in a unique light as a compact repeater that I can use on anything with four legs here in my end of the world. I sling carry mine on a nice and tidy cobra pattern short sling. It nestles well at my side in that fashion. I'd have no problem with one of the shorter barreled X frame guns in proper leather on my belt though and have even though of getting a second more compact 500.

Looking at the chronograph times from shorter barreled guns of the same maker, there are some very effective stopping rounds fit to run in the more compact guns that are still rather accurate -- with off the shelf factory ammo.
That's something to consider too.
All that and (at this point as the model has been de-bugged) it's a production factory gun at a 'reasonable' price compared to the full house custom guns or boutique single action revolvers like the BFR.

Just some perspective from someone who's shot a .500 Mag a fair bit and owns one, it's a good thing to consider if what you're looking for is a good working stopping pistol, the Smith will do it. With lighter loads it's useful in quite a range of capacities too.

--Tinker

Contact Us NitroExpress.com