9.3x57
(.450 member)
07/09/23 11:42 PM
Re: Handguns on Safari and Shikar

I had a Ruger .44 Mag Super Blackhawk which I was going to bring to SA when we moved over there. No problems w/ RSA rules and regs but found out only too late that I couldn't bring it into NYC & then JFK airport so swapped it for an old transition model 36/336 Ruger .30-30 which I added a Williams peep sight to and zeroed in my parents parsonage basement, lying down on the concrete and shooting into a backstop made of stacked firewood.

Once in Natal I took it to "the Back 40" and along w/ my other guns checked zero. It needed little adjustment and I wound up shooting a big buck vervet monkey with it on a very enjoyable hunt along with an old Zulu farm hand during which we saw a huge python & dodged a green mamba. The old fellow had two iron-hard (ironwood?) knobkerries he carried for self protection. I gave him 10 Rand note for one and still have it, tho I do not have the Marlin. Used that knob stick to kill a trapped coyote some years ago and it was the fastest kill of anything I've ever used. One strike and it was light out. Not a twitch. Pic before, below.

(Sorry for the offtopic droning Nitro!)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com