eagle27
(.400 member)
14/11/21 04:18 PM
Re: The 455 Webley....BRITAIN’S BIG-BORE HEAVYWEIGHT,

I had a very good condition Webley MkVI with a 4" barrel and square grip. The bore was excellent. I cast Lyman 250gr bullets for it but also shot 185gr jacketed, the Speer 200gr "flying ashtray" bullet as they were known as, and the Hornady 250gr jacketed hollow point. The bore was .452" so it shot the whole range of bullets well. Loaded up to 600 - 700fps MV with the heaviest to lightest bullets.

I made a bunch of cases for the Webley cutting down 45 Colt cases and thinning the rim on the lathe. The cylinder had not been shaved. Also had the 22LR conversion kit for the Webley consisting of an exchange cylinder and insert barrel. The 22LR barrel was 6" so I made up an extended knurled fitting that screwed to the insert barrel muzzle to hold the insert in place, looked just like silencer on the end of the Webley barrel. The 22LR was not quite as accurate as the 455 so didn't use it much eventually selling the conversion kit to an owner of a 6" barreled MKVI.
I also had an original packet of the 265gr FMJ military rounds, collectors item, which I never fired.

The Webley accounted for a couple of red deer, quite few feral goats (bush shooting) and a lot of possums, hare and rabbit, also a cattle beast which had suffered a broken leg and which I purchased from the farmer. Head shot the beast from a few metres away. My Webley was quite accurate with all bullets and the double action was smooth enough to shoot well. The SA trigger pull was heavy anyway so DA was as good. My two youngest kids at the time, 6yo boy and 9yo girl, used to enjoy shooting it, me wrapping their hands in mine of course but the recoil didn't bother them at all.

Our local country cop used to get me to accompany him when he raided cannabis plots, he always carried his issue S&W MP10 38 Special revolver in a shoulder holster, unknown to him my Webley always sat in one too.

All this was a few decades ago now and I eventually sold it on.

I never took any photos of my Webley, just a couple of the ammo I used as below.

185gr Winchester FMJ, 250Gr Hornady HP and 250gr Lyman cast 455 Webley reloads.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com