NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/09/21 04:56 PM
Re: It's Handgun Wednesday.. Couple of Colts

What is amazing about it?

I was just thinking about reading Aussie bushranger history. If one reads about Australia's "Wild West", colonial days, gold rush days, the bushrangers, and their gun battles and shoot outs, the scenes are very different from the modern American "Wild West" movies. I assume the real American "Wild West" stories are also similar. Though US history was already the mark of the sensationalist booklet writer!

The actual gun battles of the time had guys blazing away at each other, often at quite short ranges, no one hitting anyone with many shots. Perhaps a wound or two. And anguish when someone was shot dead. Usually. Not accurate deadly fire of marksmen.

I don't pretend to be a historical firearms and when they existed. And have forgotten more than I remember. But cap and ball revolvers, muzzle loader handguns and long arms, by these bushranger historical accounts were not used very effectively. Either because of fear in a shoot out, lack of experienceability, whatever. But interesting to read how the accounts of real bandit shootouts actually progressed.

One of these BP loaded brass cased Colts in the West would have been very special.

As would a Webley in Africa, India or elsewhere in the Empire.

Hell in some places the opposition still used spears, swords, and arrows against one.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com